Friday, May 27, 2011

EWRT1A-24: clear sentences and mixed structures

Here is the worksheet for Tuesday.

Also, be sure to bring your reader as well as Frankenstein on Tuesday. You will need both.

And just a quick note on CliffsNotes, SparkNotes, et al… Literature can be difficult, but the pleasure it provides is the pleasure you get from figuring it out yourself. And as I stated in class, what you are trying to do is form your own interpretation based on the evidence of what you've read. Something like SparkNotes is just somebody else's interpretation. And so if you go to SparkNotes too soon, you are giving up your chance of forming your own opinion. Don't throw away the opportunity to discover something on your own. Also, SparkNotes is not always right. For one, it just presents one interpretation and multiple interpretations are almost always possible. Also, it sometimes just gets things wrong. Have I ever used a study guide before? Yes. As I was reading James Joyce's Ulysses, I used The New Bloomsday Book: a Guide Through Ulysses by Harry Blamires. But what I did was read a chapter of Ulysses first and struggled with it on my own. Then I went to the Blamires book for help. That way, I could compare Blamires's interpretation to my own, not simply adopt his. So that's how I suggest you use aids like SparkNotes if you're going to use them at all. Read the literature first. Try to figure it out to the best of your abilities. Then look for outside help. This way you can develop your own ideas and see other ideas as just that– other ideas, not the only ideas possible. And it may also save you from inadvertently plagiarizing.

No comments: